Sunday, April 8, 2007

Research Groups

I guess that I’ll just take the third option on this assignment because I was unable to establish a group. Also, for the restating of my research idea post, I think I’ll use my euthanasia idea because I have a slightly clearer idea of what I would want to do with that topic.

a) I failed at this one. Hopefully I can work it out in class tomorrow. I would like to work with Colleen, because we seemed to have somewhat similar preliminary interests, but I think everyone’s topics are interesting so I’d be willing to work with anyone.

b) I would want to compare the perspectives/views taken by Seattle’s primary religious groups on euthanasia to those of Amsterdam’s. Is there any difference in the positions taken? In how the topic is considered? Are there any variances in position on the topic between the religious groups? Are these variances duplicated in the two cities, or do they differ? If they differ, how do they do so and why? Do the religious groups take a different position than that of non-religious people?

c) I don’t really know too much about this topic at the moment. Most of the information I could find indicated that the Netherlands was somewhat all in agreement on the topic, but I doubt that all opinions are exactly the same. Thus, I think that it would be better if I took the international engagement option. I think the topic is interesting, and I would like to explore it. As I have never been to Amsterdam for an extended stay, I don’t have a clear view of what to expect, and I would rather keep my options open.

d) I don’t think there will be that many problems with finding people to interview/ask questions as these are religions pursued by a large number of people, and I think that most major religions are fairly open with their viewpoints. One thing that I could foresee as a problem is the sensitivity of the topic. It’s a question of life and death, and questions like that almost always get everyone tied up in a knot, from my experience. Still, asking questions in a non-provocative way and being considerate of people should help alleviate at least some of that problem.


Oh, as a complete and unnecessary aside, I found a rather amusing Dutch legend at
http://www.aaronshep.com/stories/017_legend.html .

No comments: