Tuesday, May 1, 2007

E-research

What is e-research? Well, actually, I’ve been wondering about that. Considering that it is hard to verbalize a decent definition of research (as seen in class yesterday), tagging on the e doesn’t help matters. Personally, I think research is a scholarly endeavor in which new knowledge is created with the purpose of adding to the overall knowledge of the community on the subject. Mayhap that is not a very accurate description, but that is how I think of it. E-research is the use of information technology to support said research or the study of the use of information technology in research. Again, this is probably an erroneous view, but there it is.

As for the part that e-research might take in my project…I think that it would be hard to base my project off research. Health information needs for sex workers isn’t, in my view, something that can be easily research online or by digital means. Perhaps some research could be done by looking up personal commentary on the matter, though I doubt that many sex workers sit down and start a blog or the like about their information needs. If anyone has any better suggestions for the incorporation of e-research into this topic, I’d be quite grateful ^_^

No comments: